Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hippies and Vaseline

So I get email from Greenpeace. Usually I just delete without reading it, because you know how that goes, but they're doing one of their hippies vs. whalers things, where they have their ship physically tail whaling vessels and try to get them not to kill the whales and then bring them forward in time to save the Federation. True Story Swear To God. Anyway. So I'm reading it and I read:

"For eleven days, we've been chasing the Japanese whaling factory ship Nisshin Maru through Antarctic waters."

And thought, "hang on!"

Quick Googling confirmed that my brain was not misfiring, and that as I thought, this is the same ship used in the filming of Matthew Barney's Drawing Restraint 9.

One constructs scenarios. Are captured Greenpeace activists dismembered until they turn into whales? What happens if the whalers' strategic supply of vaseline is disrupted? Which poor sailor has to sleep in the cabin where Barney and Bjork had cinematic kinky whale-sex?

[I should note before closing that I know I owe more substantive posts; unfortunately, life's been busy; viz., I'm red-eyeing it to DC tonight, and am posting this from the Sacramento airport, where I've just left a 9.5 hour hearing that hadn't quite finished by the time I left because I had to catch my flight, and which parenthetically looks set to kill the big health care bill I've been working on these past four months. Which is to say, my brain is too fried to post anything involving big words, likely will be so fried in the immediate future, but if the bill gets voted down I should have some more free time!]

[Incidentally, that post title should really bring in the perv demo to our humble blog. I do my bit!]

1 comment:

David McDougall said...

Some suggested tags for this post:

Star Trek: the Voyage Home, Drawing Restraint 9, Bjork, commercial whaling, Greenpeace, Matthew Barney, vaseline, dismembering hippies, Nisshin Maru, cinematic kinky whale-sex

We are currently the only Google result for "cinematic kinky whale-sex"... is that a good thing or a bad thing?